Preparedness Information and Response Agencies
Damage in Izmit, Turkey after the M7.6 August 17, 1999 earthquake.
- 2008 Bay Area Earthquake Probabilities
The overall probability of a magnitude 6.7 or greater earthquake in the Greater Bay Area is 63%, about 2 out of 3.
- 7 Steps to an Earthquake Resilient Business (PDF)
How to prepare your business for an earthquake
- ABAG Earthquake Maps and Information
The Association of Bay Area Governments
- American Red Cross
Emergency response organization that provides disaster relief
- American Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Information
Earthquake Safety Information (and other disaster preparedness information) in various languages
- Are You Prepared for the Next Big Earthquake in Alaska?
Preparedness guide especially for Alaska
- Are You Prepared?
Earthquakes and other disasters, from the City and County of San Francisco
- Are You Ready?
Includes resources and best practices
Focus on California
- Can It Happen Here?
Could a large damaging tsunami happen in the United States?
- CDC (Center for Disease Control) Emergency Preparedness & Response
Earthquakes and other emergencies
- Central U.S. Earthquake Consortium
Information about earthquakes in the central U.S.
- Children, Stress, and Natural Disasters
teachers guide to helping children deal with disasters
- Citizen Corps - Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
Educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
- Coping with Childrens' Reactions to Earthquakes
Information for parents with children who have been in earthquakes.
- Dare to Prepare
associated with earthquakecountryinfo.org and shakeout.org
- Disaster Preparedness for Pets
Steps and checklists to help care for pets during emergencies.
Resource providing information about earthquake response.
Resource for tsunami response.
- Earthquake Country Alliance
Earthquake preparedness for California
- Earthquake Preparedness Guides
Multiple guides for homes, businesses, etc.,
- Earthquake Preparedness Online Publications
Information for individuals, families, teachers, kids, businesses, planners, policy-makers and designers.
- Echando Raices en Tierra de Terremotos
Este manual provee información sobre por qué nos deben preocupar los terremotos en el Sur de California, qué debemos hacer para estar seguros y reducir el daño, y también qué debemos saber de lo básico sobre terremotos.
Emergency planning resources for schools and communities
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
US federal government agency dedicated to responding to disasters.
- Federation of Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies
Humanitarian organization that carries out relief efforts to assist victims of disasters.
- FEMA Earthquake Information
Includes resources and best practices
- FEMA: Information for Pet Owners
Learn the best ways to provide for your pets during an emergency
Natural Hazard Loss Estimation Methodology
- How You Can Strengthen Your Home for the Next Big Earthquake in the Los Angeles Area
Easy Low-Cost Ways to Help Reduce the Risk of Damage to Your Hom. (PDF)
- International Tsunami Information Centre
General and technical information, maps, and links to warning centers.
- Is Your Home Protected from Earthquake Disasters?
Details about what parts of the home are most vulnerable and how you can protect yourself (PDF)
- Living On Shaky Ground: How to Survive Earthquakes and Tsunamis in Northern California
A collection of preparedness guides for earthquakes and tsunamis especially for the Northern Coast of California
- Living with Earthquakes in Nevada: A Nevadan's Guide
This guide and many other preparedness-related information especially for Nevada.
- Natural Hazards Center
resources concerning hazards mitigation and disaster preparedness
- NEHRP - National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program
The Federal Government's program to reduce the risks to life and property from earthquakes
- Open for Business
disaster planning toolkit for the home and small business
- Protect Your Pets in an Emergency
Help ensure your pet's safety during an earthquake.
- Protecting Your Family from Earthquakes
in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean
- Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country - Central US edition
Earthquakes and preparedeness in the Central US
- Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country - NCA edition
Earthquakes and preparedeness in northern California
- Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country - SCA edition
Earthquakes and preparedness in southern California
- Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country - Utah edition
Earthquakes and prepardeness in Utah
- Quake Country
articles and resources about earthquakes in the San Francisco area
Things you can do around your house to prepare for an earthquake
This site will show you how mitigation can work for you and how to reduce your risks in three steps: understanding what's at risk, making a plan, and getting the work done. Each step has a checklist to guide you.
Risk awareness and mitigation information for businesses.
- Reducing Earthquake Hazards in Schools
identification of nonstructural hazards at schools
- Relief Web
Online gateway to information on disasters
- Strengthening Wood Frame Houses for Earthquake Safety
addresses weaknesses in wood frame homes
- Structural Engineers Celebrating Earthquake Safety
Why earthquakes happen, why some buildings fail, how structural engineers study earthquakes.
- The Emergency Preparedness Handbook
suggestions on being prepared for earthquakes
- The Wave that Shook the World
Online companion to the NOVA broadcast with excellent animations, Q&anmp;A, images, and lesson plans for teachers.
- Tsunami Hazards
"Surviving a Tsunami" brochure, tips, information, and evacuation brochures and maps.
- Tsunami Information and Education
Focus on Seaside, OR, but useful for anyone within a tsunami risk zone.
- Tsunami Preparedness Guidebook
Downloadable PDF and additional links to tsunami preparedness websites.
- Tsunami Resources
General information about tsunamis and preparedness, including evacuation routes for coastal towns in Washington.
Basic science of tsunamis, preparedness, and focus on California and historical information.
- U.S. State Department - Travel Warnings & Consular Info Sheets
Information for people planning on traveling abroad
- Understanding Earthquakes Makes for Messy Science
Earthquake processes typically occur tens of miles below the Earth's surface and over geologic time, away from direct observation. Earthquake science, in particular, is often subject to interpretation and bias.
- US Agency for International Development
US agency set up to provide relief to other countries suffering from disaster